Mandatory Evacuations for All of Lee County Barrier Islands
Lee County announced that mandatory evacuations will be in place Friday morning for all the barrier islands.
Those islands include Bonita Beach, Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, Captiva and Pine Island.
Additionally, those living in mobile homes are also under a mandatory evacuation.
Below is a list of open shelters in Southwest Florida as Hurricane Irma looms.
The following shelters will be open for evacuees at 9 a.m. Friday:
- East Lee County High School, 715 Thomas Sherwin Ave., Lehigh Acres
- Varsity Lakes Middle School, 801 Gunnery Road., Lehigh Acres
- Harns Marsh Middle School, 1820 Unice Ave. N., Lehigh Acres
- Oak Hammock Middle School, 5321 Tice St., Fort Myers
- Island Coast High School, 2125 De Navarra Pkwy., Cape Coral
- South Ft. Myers High School, 14020 Plantation Road., Fort Myers (Pets allowed)
- Estero Rec Center, 9200 Corkscrew Palms Road., Estero
- A special needs shelter is expected to open Thursday, county spokeswoman Betsy Clayton said.
Tolls at Lee County’s three bridge – Midpoint, Cape Coral, and the Sanibel Causeway – are suspended until further notice.
- LaBelle Middle School, 8000 E. Cowboy Way, LaBelle (opening 3 p.m. Friday)
- Clewiston High School, 1501 Francisco St., Clewiston (opening 3 p.m. Friday)
- Special needs shelter at West Glades School, 2500 S Co Rd 731 SW (opening 2 p.m. Friday)
- Moore Haven High School Gym, 700 Terrier Pride Drive SW, Moore Haven (opening 8 a.m. Friday — residents are urged to get there early to reserve a spot)
- Maple Grove Baptist Church, 12777 East State Road 78 NE, Lakeport (opening 5:30 p.m. Friday)
- West Glades Elementary School, 2586 County Road 721, Building 500, Muse (opening 5:30 p.m. Friday)