219 Plaza Drive, Lehigh Acres, Fl
Lehigh Acres Senior Center is sponsored by Lee County
and by Lehigh Regional Medical Center
Established in 1980 Lehigh Acres Senior Citizens Center, Inc. is a non-profit organization to provide the local senior population with activities to sharpen mind and body and give meaning and purpose to their retirement years. Our programs provide members with the opportunity to meet with friends for recreational activities, remain mentally and physically active, benefit from being a member of the large volunteer program, encourage daily learning and maintain a healthy lifestyle…..all in a safe, secure and friendly environment. We have more to offer than a YMCA. We invite you to come and take a tour.
- Aug. 7 at 11:30 p.m. Madrid Casino Day. No cash needed to play. Prizes will be awarded to the top three with the most poker chips. Steak and onions, rice and beans dinner for $4.00 for members only. Must sign up a week in advance. Don’t miss the fun.
- Aug. 8 at 1:30 p.m. Live band and dance with Tina and Barry. Refreshments provided. Nonmembers are welcome. $4.00 for members and $5.00 for nonmembers.
- Aug. 11 at 11:30 a.m. Lunch Bunch. Greystone Home Health will speak on the benefits of exercise. Free for members but must sign up a week in advance.
- Aug. 13 at 11:30 a.m. Hot Dog Day. Hot dog, chips and a soda for $2.00. You must be a member and sign up in advance
- Aug. 14 at 9 a.m. Drs. Breakfast. Dr. Irving, Radiologist will speak about imaging. Free breakfast provided by LRMC. Must sign up in advance.
August 2013 Calendar of Events
· Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. we have Bingo with large jack pots. Nonmembers are welcome.
· Mon-Fri at 9-11 a.m. Free Blood Pressure checks for members.
- Check out our new Tai Chi, Zumba, Dance X, Line Dance, Walking and Yoga classes.
- Travel Desk has trips to Miami/Key West, Nashville, Washington, DC and the Broadway Palm.
- Mondays at 10:30 a.m. Meet with the social club and plan trips for the weekends.
- Fridays at 1:30-3:45 p.m. Karaoke and dance. Free to all members.
- Aug. 1 at 9 a.m. Diabetic Support Group. Breakfast provided free by Lehigh Regional Medical Center.
- Aug. 1 at 12:30 p.m. Las Vegas Casino Day-Buffet. Enjoy casino games at no cost. Win prizes. $4.00 for chicken/pork, rice and beans, salad, roll and plantains. Members only.
- Aug. 5 at 11:30 a.m. Lunch Bunch. Red Cross will be speaking about Hurricane Preparedness and Lehigh Rehab will let us know about their new Platinum Program. Free for members but must sign up in advance.
- Aug. 7 at 11 a.m. Italian Ice Day. $2.00 for your choice of the best Italian Ice. Members must sign up a week in advance.
- Aug. 8 at 9 a.m. Drs. Breakfast. Dr. Bieggi, Radiologist will speak about x-ray and diagnostic testing. Free breakfast provided by LRMC. Must sign up in advance.
- Aug. 8 at 7-9 p.m. Dance. $4.00 for members and $5.00 for nonmembers. Refreshments served.
- Aug. 12 at 11:30 a.m. Lunch Bunch. Hope Hospice Pace Program will speak. This is not Hope Hospice. Lunch will be sponsored by Fountain Crest. Free for members but must sign up a week in advance.
- Aug. 14 11:30 a.m. Hot Dog Day. Hot dog, chips and a soda for $2.00. You must be a member and sign up in advance
- Aug. 22 at 1 p.m. Movie Day. Movie will be “Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.” Sign up in advance for free popcorn.
- Aug. 26 at 11:30 a.m. Lunch Bunch. Benefit of Tai Chi with Don Espiritu. Fountain Crest will supply the lunch. Free for members, but must sign up in advance.
- Aug. 27 at 10:30 a.m. Meet-N-Eat. Carpool to Elephant Bar. You must sign up in advance. This is a limit to how many can sign up.
- Aug. 29 at 9 a.m. Clean Up Day. Clean up the center and enjoy a light lunch. Must sign up and must be a member.
The Acres Senior Citizens Center, 219 Plaza Drive, welcomes anyone 50 or older. Lehigh Regional Medical Center is the center’s major sponsor and provides food for its breakfasts and many special events. Join the center for $15 a year and enjoy the Lee County pool on Williams Road for an extra $10 a year. It costs $2 a day for nonmembers for the center. Special events have other requirements; please inquire at the main desk. (more…)
The Lehigh Acres Senior Center’s deck the halls and tree trim party was held Dec. 4. From left to right, front row, Len Donat, Frank McDonald, Cathy Olson, Joni Ferster and Paul Ryder; middle row, Haydee O’Toole, Isy Shockey, Pat Chevalier, Bob Ferster and Betty Ryder; back row, Nancy Bartlett, Chet Olson and Linda Franks. They enjoyed pizza and cookies.
Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater today warned consumers about an emerging scam related to requiring payments to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in order to collect “lottery winnings.” A company calling themselves National Sweepstakes has contacted a senior consumer in Palm Beach County claiming to require payments to the IRS in order for the consumer to collect her $1 million-plus prize. (more…)
Urging Floridians to participate in Consumer Protection Week, which continues through Saturday, Florida’s Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater today launched On Guard for Seniors, a new website intended to educate consumers about financial and insurance issues impacting our state’s fastest-growing population.
The On Guard for Seniors website, www.MyFloridaCFO.com/OnGuard, includes information about annuities, reverse mortgages, long-term care insurance and identity theft and features success stories about seniors the Department of Financial Services has helped. In 2011 the department’s Division of Consumer Services helped recover more than $22 million for Florida consumers. (more…)
There are 34 million licensed drivers in the United States 65 or older. Of those, some will admit their skills aren’t quite what they used to be behind the wheel.
“I’m aware that my reflexes are a bit slower than they were,” said Ann Smith. (more…)